The maison Delamain was founded by a family previously emi- grated from France to Dublin in Ireland. James Delamain (1738-1800) married Marie Ransom in 1759 and returned to Jarnac (France) and created a partnership with his father in law Isaac Ranson, owner of an export company with a great reputation since the beginning of the production of cognac. Formally, the foundation of the maison was on 1740 mean- while in 1763 was created the Delamain Ranson. The distillery was rebuilt in the eighteenth and nineteenth cen- tury, partially on top of cellars of the fourteenth century and partially on the ruins of an old Protestant Church, which served as a repository of brandy during the French revolution. In 1920, the family became the sole owner of the Delamain cognac.